WD introduces 10TB red drive (WD100EFAX). This is a 5400RPM drive same as the rest of the sries, but the Cache is increased to 256MB . We expect the pricing to be released mid June .
WD has launched its 10TB Purple Surveillance drive. WD100PURZ ( 10TB Purple) drive is the highest capacity drive in Purple drives yet . One significant change from 8TB is double the cache ( 256MB) .
Qnap has introduced the Beta Version of QRM+ an remote discovery, mapping and management solution. How it does is by utilizing IPMI interface , needless to say this is compatible with the IPMI devices only.
This can offer out of band management of your network devices which are IPMI compatible.
HP has officially stopped taking orders on DDS tapes, and some of the DDS market is being captured by RDX due to simplicity and ease of use. Latest RDX tape boasts a capacity of 4Tb on a single tape. We will have the 4TB media available for sale around 2nd week of September.
Qnap has launched the TS-X51A series , featuring USB 3.0 QuickAccess port that can be used to directly access files and data stored on the NAS. In short you can use it as an External USB Hard drive, as a NAS and as a iSCSI-SAN all the same price.
There are 2 models TS-251A and TS-451A in 2 and 4 bays respectively.
Seagate NAS drives ( earlier known as NM drives) have a new avatar. They will be called IronWolf drives. Off course this is not just a re branding of existing product but a revamped product with many added features. These drives have just been launched and inventories are probably a few weeks away, but what we already know about these drives is
- We have capacities upto 10TB. This is the largest capacity available in hard drives in this segment (ST10000VN0004)
- Dual Pane balance and RV sensors on 6,8,10TB drives for extra stability
- Error Recovery Control for better RAID
- Advanced power management
- Upto 256MB Cache
Releasing a 10TB capacity has really upped the game in this segment. Typically the higher capacities are popular as they help NAS users conserve number of bays for future expansion.
Synology DS-916+ will probably be available by the end of May. What we know about it is
- Available in 2G and 8G options
- 4 Bay machine, can be expanded to 9 bays with 5 bay expansion
- 4K Video capable
Qnap has launched the TVS-X82 series , some of the features of these models are
- i3, i5, i7 and Pentium Processor options
- Dedicated 2.5" Trays for SSD drives ( the 3.5" trays also support 2.5" format, but now there are some dedicated 2.5" trays too)
- M2 SSD ports
- PCIe Slot that can be used for 10GbE/ 40GbE adapters, PCIe NVMe SSD, external graphics cards and USB 3.1 expansion cards.
- 3 HDMI ports
- Built in speakers
Quantum has announced the availability of LTO-7 drives. The external Quantum TC-L72BN-EZ - Half height tablet top SAS drive offers a migration from LTO-6 drives. The LTO-7 drive is read and write compatible with LTO-6 media , with a read only backward compatibility to LTO-5. On Migration, client can still use their LTO-6 media .